This recipe used by my husband and fine tuned by my daughter is just what you need whether you like them thin or thick, petite or plate sized.
- 1 Cup Plain Flour
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup of white sugar (depending on how sweet you are)
- 2 teasps of baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup of natural yoghurt and 1/3rds of a cup of milk.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Mix the dry ingredients together with a whisk to break up any clumps
- Add in the wet ingredients and stir until just combined
- On a medium heat, add a little butter to the pan and spoon 2 to 3 tbsp of the mixture onto the pan
- Cook until golden on both sides, add a little more butter to the pan between batches
- Serve with Gecko Grove Jam or Passion fruit Syrup and Ice-cream.
- Substitute the Yoghurt and Milk with Coconut Milk or Cream – Great for people with lactose intolerance or those with left over coconut milk that needs to be used up
- For thinner Pikelets or Pancakes, just add a little more liquid.
- In the berry season, add a few berries to the mix once you’ve put it in the pan. When you turn the pikelet over to cook the second side, the berries caramelise. (blueberries work wonderfully)
- If the butter quickly turns brown the pan is too hot.