As you can imagine, I spend quite a lot of time in my kitchen making Gecko Grove products. So when I escape and am asked to “bring a plate” I want it to be quick and easy but also impressive. Luckily I can make a wide range of tasty treats using Gecko Grove products because Jam & Marmalade is not just for toast! I also use an egg, Feta cheese and puff pastry.
Here’s how to do it:
Gecko Grove Tasty Pastry Treats.
- Frozen Puff Pastry (You will cut each sheet into 9 circles so allow 3-4 per person)
- Feta Cheese (I prefer Emmo’s goat feta)
- Gecko Grove Lime Marmalade or Persimmon Jam. (these go really well with feta)
- 1 beaten egg.
You also need:
- pastry cutter (about 7- 8cm, smaller gets a bit fiddly)
- pastry brush
- baking tray
- baking paper helps because the jam may leak out and stick your pastry to the tray.
- cooking rack
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celcius.
- Beat up egg with 1 tablespoon water to make an egg wash.
- Defrost Pastry sheets and cut each sheet into 9 circles using 7- 8cm ring cutter.
- Place 1 teaspoon of jam or marmalade in the centre of each pastry piece.
- Cut feta into strips approximately 4cm x 1 cm. Place a strip on top of the jam. (If you are using crumbly feta use a tablespoon per circle.)
- Using a pastry brush, paint egg wash around the edges of the circle.
- Bring the sides of the circle together and push gently into each other to create a half circle. (Ideally you want the edges to stay together when cooking but if they split open they look kind of funky and cool. Either way tastes great.)
- Crimp the edges and brush the outside of the pastry with egg wash. Think Cornish Pastie. It’s up to you if want your treat to rest on its side or to stand up.
- Place on baking paper on oven tray and bake for 12 -15 minutes. Check to be sure they are golden brown.
- Leave to cool on cooling rack.
- Best eaten warm. You might like to sprinkle with icing sugar .
In the unlikely event you have leftovers store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 days.